Thursday, October 22, 2015

Fish in a Tree

Fish in a Tree
By Josie Abramson
“Everyone is smart in different ways. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, then it will spend its life thinking that it’s stupid.” That was a quote from one of my all time favorite books, Fish in a Tree by Lynda Mullaly Hunt.

This inspiring book takes place in a normal school. Ally, the main character can’t read well. None of her teachers understand her and she has been to a lot of different schools. Shay and Jessica are like the “mean and popular girls” of the class, they are always saying mean things to people, especially Ally. Deep down she is a creative, kind kid but no one can see that side of her.

Later, Ally meets Mr. Daniels, her new teacher. Mr. Daniels seems to understand her and thinks she is very smart. He sees the fun, creative, smart Ally. Ally finds new friends, courages Keisha and fact loving Albert. Her new friends help her through hard times. Sometime later, she figures out she has dyslexia so she can’t read, but can learn.

“This book is absolutely wonderful! I wish I could put it in the hands of every kid who’s ever worried about school. You’ll love Ally, you’ll worry with her and you’ll cheer her on hoping she’ll triumph over a seemingly insurmountable obstacle.” That was an amazing review by Patricia Reilly Giff, and I completely agree with her. Some days I would try to put this book down but then in my mind I would say, “just another chapter”. After like five more chapters I would finally put the book down. I have already read this book around four times and wouldn’t mind reading it again! I think every kid should read this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment